Thursday, July 28, 2011

May 2003

Travel Stories 14/5/03

Apologies again for the slackness but I will make up for it now...This is my 2nd attempt at this email so here's hoping this one saves. Well I'm writing to you from the Shrewsbury Library where I'm on a day off from instructing at Summer Camp some 12miles away in between England and Wales. I spend my days teaching kiddies Archery, Fencing, Abseiling, Rock Climbing, Quad biking and Ropes/ Challenge courses. All good fun. Next month I'll be teaching rafting, kayaking and canoeing so that should be good. I'm enjoying the teaching and getting a buzz from the kids but it is tiring work 6 days a week for zero money but its all a good crack. Its a good bunch of staff (200 of them) and instructors from all over the globe especially down under but at 27 I'm just about the veteren of the bunch. Before getting here a month ago I spent the winter months Jan-March in Scotland at my favourite spot Aviemore working as the lifts and tows supervisor skiing and boarding my days away from tow to tow (weather permitting). The people and friends I have made in Scotland I will cherish forever and I hope to repay their kindness and hospitality one day soon. I rounded off my time there with a 10 day car hire trip around Scotland (photos to come) which was great fun catching up with people and going to places I'd wanted to do for ages. Lots of castles and camping in the scottish spring sunshine. I spent 2 months around Christmas catching up with Mum and Dad and the Butterfield clan in the unbearable Queensland heat so some would say I've literally had the best of both worlds over the last 6 months. I'm looking forward to coming back to Oz now as not a day goes by when I don't think of moving into my house in the snowy mountains so maybe the time is right to come home soon. But not too soon as I want to go to Scandanavia, Russia, Poland and the Chech Republic before then and when I get home New Zealand, the south pacific and asia awaits. And for those wondering what next I'm already planning my next big trip to the Americas and a return trip to Europe in the near future so plenty of travels and stories to come. But for now sayanara from Shrewsbury Library and hope alls well with everyone in their neck of the woods and hope to see you all soon in 2003.

Siesta Stue

No comments:

Post a Comment